Friday, February 03, 2006

My Experiments with Data Sufficiency

The world of data sufficiency is an interesting maze. Easy to get lost if you stray too far. The correct way is never more than 120 seconds away too!

Like many of the other sections, taking an active interest in the problem at hand is a good strategy in DS also. In verbal sections I would say that attitude will give you a winning edge. However much boring a subject be, if you can fake your mind to like the paragraph for 10 minutes, you can coolly walk away with 5 correct answers from a Reading Comprehension. In my case, I genuinely like, Business, Social, Biology and Physics problems. Critical reasoning will bring out the devils advocate in you. The only section where keeping the meaning a little away from your heart will do any good, is sentence correction. Just remember the GMAT grammar.

Today I sat with OG, DS Set 2. From 51 to 100. They were once again relatively simple. I got 2 of this 50 wrong. Out of the two, one question bowled me clean, since I did not do enough reasoning. The other one was a cleverly disguised word trap.

I am satisfied with the way DS practice is progressing. I could be taking my first full length practice test on Sunday. I am very excited about it. That will be my first pointer of my overall stamina, strategy and alertness. After close to two months preparation that will be the start of the many moments of truths to follow. Am I ready for my 760?

No comments: