Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Back To the Mattress : With Manhattan SC

Prelude:
No Guns blazing. No schemes to scheme. No blood to spill and no one to kill. Just, I myself and my plan. Back to the Mattress.

Yesterday I chalked out my plan to get my SC performance to something acceptable. I saw an approach written by a person nick named cali_boy in www.sentencecorrection.com. He climbed an Everest of 790, in late 2004.
An inspiring series of posts are at, http://www.sentencecorrection.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1425.
He had a simple method of marking why each answer choice is wrong. I am finding this approach very appealing. This straight away gives you something like n x 5 practice questions to perfect your eye. Without any doubt, noticing the mistake is the primary differentiator to score well in SC or not. Also, of course you need to know your stuff.

So, for the stuff part, I am going back to my Manhattan Prep books. I liked their approach very much. The approach is, to be sticking to the basic GMAT grammar. Today I studied the first chaper on 3 C's of SC. Clarity, Concise and Correctness.

A Correct GMAT SC answer choice will be a clear,concise and grammatically correct sentence.

At the end of each chapter, the book gives a list of OG practice Qn numbers. The first chapter had 14 listed. I was happy to get 11 Correct. Way to go.

No comments: