Thursday, February 16, 2006

About, Tense (d), Mood(y) and Voice(s)

Today I learnt the art of using correct tenses. I am starting to appreciate Manhattan's technique. Also, I am seeing amazing improvements by using cali_boy's technique which I mentioned in a previous post. The OG practice I did yesterday evening went very well. I am starting to get a good feeling about the all thing. Now, my notes...


Tense can be used as another great simple pointer in eliminating the wrong answers from answer choices. GMAT, as a convention prefers simple tense where ever possible. Simple Present, Simple past and Simple future. Also the continuous forms of the simple tenses. Present and Past perfect tense is required on specific rules.

If in one sentence there are two actions, both of which happened in the past, one should use past perfect tense for the earlier action, and simple past tense for the more recent action.

For example,

The movie already started before we arrived at the theater, Is grammatically wrong.
The movie had already started before we arrived at the theater, is correct.

According to Manhattan, this sort of errors is a favorite for GMAT question writers.

As far as Present perfect is considered, if an action which started in the past, is continuing to the present one should use Present Perfect tense.

For Example:

The post office has created 10 new jobs till now.

Usage of If...Then Clause:-

Note: The ...'then', is omitted most of the time in this constructed.

If he pays me $100, I will make sure that he gets his ticket.
If [Simple Present]....then [(will/shall/can) + present participle of the verb]

If he paid me $100, I would make sure that he gets his ticket.
If [Simple Past]....then [(would/should/could) + present participle of the verb]

If he had paid me $100, I would have made sure that he gets his ticket.
If [Past Perfect]....then [(would/should/could) + have + past participle of the verb]

Subjunctive Constructs

Subjunctive constructs include sentences where, an Imaginary condition is discusses, or where an urgent, pressing command, request, plea etc. are communicated. I think I can explain them better with a few examples.

Eg.
If I were a millionaire, I would be drinking Champagne every evening.
If the roses were jasmines, this room would be a heaven.

Here, both these examples refer to hypothetical conditions. So, 'were' is the ONLY correct verb to use of the If Clause. Not only that, on the second clause would + infinitive form of the verb ('to' omitted) is the only correct verb form.

A similar nuance is there with the verb 'wish',
I wish she were a chess player, is the correct usage.

Eg.
I request that the bill be passed in this session.
I insist that you give me the job.
She shouted that they not shout at her.

In the above examples, the correct tense form to use is the infinitive with the 'to' omitted for the second clause.

[To be Continued...]

1 comment:

raki_sg said...

hi,
I went thru your Blog, its very interesting. I'm getting ready to give my GMAT too as I plan to go to Michigan Evening School. I have a question for you - how come you got all the question papers to solve did you buy them.. Can you share them with me. My email is raki_sg@yahoo.com

thanks

Rakesh