Friday, February 16, 2007

When is no news good news?

May be when it is the last day of interview invites and you are bracing your clueless self for a DWI!

The email from NYU did not come in the morning; neither by the noon nor by the office close hour of 5PM. Since it was Feb 15th, the last day of interview invites for R1 submits I was thoroughly confused. What does this mean? Do the surprises of this admissions process ever end? So I picked up the phone and called the NYU admissions office. When I told I submitted the application by Dec 1st, she re-confirmed that I submitted a 'COMPLETE' application by Dec 1st. Then I walked her through the boring story of how misfortunate I was that my Essay 3 got lost within the Admissions office maze (of no mistake of theirs, only because of my bad luck! :-)). Did she give an all knowing chuckle then?, or was I becoming paranoidal? Then she told me in a loaded tone that if I do not hear anything back by tomorrow morning (ie. 16th morning) email, the admchair - an email now so familiar to me that I could type it with the pinky of my left hand when blind folded! I did not wait for the sun to rise; I email the respected chair right away. Promptly I received a reply back that the chair will get back to me within three business days. Wow!

What was surprsing to me was that all my mental tensions vanished right then. I did not care about the MBA admit anymore. I realized that I have done all I could do for this year, and now there is no gain to my life to continue to worry about the elusive admit. If it is to happen it should happen with all I have done so far. If it does not, then definitely this MBA race is not something which I am built for. I need it, but I do not think I can have everything that I want or need!

So, I got up shutdown the computer and went home to be with my family.

No comments: