Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The countdown to downtown

'Downtown and down to earth'. That is what Stern stands for. I am all set to submit my R1 Stern application. In fact, I may do it right after I publish this blog. []Update : And Yes, true to my word, I did too. So that is two down and one to go]

Stern application is a lot shorter than Wharton's. There are only three essays to tell your story with, of which one is an odd ball - the creative essay where you can submit anything but food, electronic media and worn T-Shirts. There is no space in the application for your job responsibilities, but of course it requires a resume. Another oddity is that Stern needs your official transcripts , and a copy of the degree certificate.

I went to Stern on Monday afternoon. I carried a rather conspicuous package, my creative essay. After I submitted the essay and the transcript I enquired whether I could attend a class. I knew the class visit schedule was full. Even so they were nice enough to ask me to hang around to see whether there are any open slots. Though I was keen to attend a marketing class, in this situation I took what was available. A class on Global Banking Risks. The class blew me away!

The quality of teaching was way better than what I experienced in Wharton. Again please take this comment with lots of salt. Since, the Wharton classes I attended were the last ones before the midterm. Hence the subject matter was at a much more advanced state. Where as, the Stern class was an independent capsule in itself. The professor was a very respected Wall St. Executive with lots of hands on experience. In addition, I had in depth knowledge on all the cases he discussed in the class - the LTCM collapse, Russian debt defaulting and the Japanese Real Estate decline. So it is quiet possible that my Wharton class visit is not quiet representative to be compared with my Stern class visit.

I will conclude with a line I penned to a friend few minutes back. - So to summarize, my brain likes Stern more where as my heart still beats Whar'..'Ton'...''Whar'..'Ton'...''Whar'..'Ton'...''Whar'..'Ton'...'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear the class at Stern blew you away. NYU (along with Columbia)will always have the advantage of having direct access to fantastic professionals based in Manhattan as teachers, speakers, etc. =)

mirla said...

My sis is a student at nyu, she had lot to say about stern.It has a very high reputation.