Monday, January 30, 2006

More Problems Solved

On Sunday, I decided it is time to take on the toughies from OG. Going by my experience with other sections, last 30% of every section in OG are tougher. I decided to do, 201-249 this time. They were moderately tough. At the end of it, I got 43/49 correct. as usual, I attempted the wrong ones once again and got 5/6 correct. One question really stumped me. I failed to understand all the facts stated in the question stem. It was a permutation problem clevaerly mixed with Coordinate Geometry. It did stump me. Over all if I take the complete set of 150 PS problems I did from OG, I got 10 wrong. That is a correct answer rate of, 93%. Of the questions I got wrong, I got all but three correct on the second attempt. The other ones which bowled me were,
1. Which used a geometry theorem. 'The minor arc always measurs half the major arc angle'. I know that now.
2. Used the fact that Only numbers which are squares of prime numbers will have exactly 3 factors.

Lessons Learnt at the and of 150 Qn PS Practice
  • Brush up Summation of Series, Arithmetic progression and Geometric progression. This will buy you precious minutes.
  • Brush up co-ordinate geometry. Practice more of it.
  • Every question could get solved with what I know, in less that 90 seconds. If it takes more than that, and I am not sure of the direction, the direction I am on is the wrong one.
  • Probability, Permutation and combination problems are best tackled using simple logic.
  • I need to learn how to use Venn Diagrams fast.
  • I need to speed up.

No comments: